[Talk-in] Use of official names for cities

Ishan Chattopadhyaya ichattopadhyaya at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 08:03:38 GMT 2012

I feel railway station names are inappropriate representations of city
names. Generally, station names are not changed within a city immediately
after the city name has been changed. A city may have a station with a
different name and that is fine. Similarly, the case with University names.
I think users should be encouraged to use official names over regional
names. But that's my take on this. Your suggestions on old_name, alt_name
tags etc. are welcome, perhaps that would help users tag better. If there's
a known inconsistency that has already crept in, I think some of us should
fix it based on common consensus.