[Talk-in] Indic place names in [name] tags

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 13:09:07 GMT 2012

I have been trying to render maps from the osm data and the multilingual
place names in the [name] tags has been an issue. There are all sorts of

I feel for the sake of consistency, only the latin name be entered into the
[name] tag, and the local language one in the [name:hi] or similar tag with
the two letter language code. Otherwise the inconsistent name tags is just
going to make processing the data cumbersome. I'm going to move the local
names into the name: subtags, let me know if anyone has an issue with that.
No data is going to be lost, only that the default osm tiles will only show
the latin names. But then again its time we set up india tile servers for
indian languages so that localization can be carried out in a more
consistent manner.
cheers,

--
j.mp/ArunGanesh <http://j.mp/ArunGanesh>