[Talk-in] Classifying places - cities, towns and villages

Kiran Jonnalagadda jace at pobox.com
Tue May 22 06:39:49 BST 2012

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 6:34 AM, I Chengappa <imchengappa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On a worldwide comparison, different countries will have different usages,
> and ultimately only the population can be the determinant.

I'm with Arun on this one -- population is a poor determinant. Different
parts of the world have different population densities. Cities, towns and
villages are political classifications, defined by administrative bodies,
and the rules for these vary by country.

OSM should recognize existing rules on the ground where they exist.

Kiran