[Talk-in] Mappy hour?

Russell Nelson russnelson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 14:27:17 GMT 2012

(Started writing this yesterday, then got distracted)

I'm in-country. Avoided getting ripped off by an autorickshaw driver who
wanted 300 bucks to go from the domestic airport to Bandra Reclamation. Did
he think I just got off the plane yesterday? (actually, it was this
morning.) Another less greedy autorickshaw driver asked for 80 bucks and
got 100 bucks for his honesty. Donated blood at the Lilavati hospital.
Walked from there to the seashore and up along Carter Road. Added a church
and a playground to OSM. Adjusted a few of planemad's shops on Union Park.
Still didn't get them all right because my GPS track was wandering through
the buildings on the other side of the street. :)

We need some better technology than GPS for associating distance along a
road with waypoints. Maybe a bicycle odometer coupled with a video camera
or voice recorder? Then, post-process the video into a string of photos
spaced out so that every photo captures every bit of distance, maybe with
50% overlap. And post-process the voice stream so that it gets split at the
silence.

Although, silence may be a rare commodity in Mumbai. Maybe have a
pushbutton which records waypoints and which plays a snippet of audio
immediately after the waypoint is taken. That way, you could go

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Arun, we are in Dharamshala! So you are responsible for the excellent
> mapping around here? Let's meet up for coffee or dinner.

Are you up in McLeodganj? I'm in Rakkar village near lower Dharamshala, I
could ride up on Saturday or Sunday.
m: 90366 26854