[Talk-in] Tag for wedding hall/kalyan mantap

Aditya Nag aditya.nag.2007 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 04:50:38 UTC 2014

In a town/city, certain number of weddings are held in rented
halls/buildings. These buildings can also be rented for other functions,
gatherings, meetings etc. For example, the functions held to celebrate the
coming of age of a Hindu Brahman, the reception held after the marriage are
also conducted there. Thus, we can tag "wedding halls" as
amenity=community_centre
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dcommunity_centre>.
Additionally, building=yes <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:building>
can demarcate the structures within which the weddings happen. And the
ubiquitous *name=** tag might also be necessary.

Some of the buildings have a permanent *mandap*, some don't. I think the
presence or absence of a *mandap* can be explicitly mentioned using an
additional *mandap=yes/no* tag. However, to make this widespread and
India-specific one has to consult with the other community members first.
But again, openstreetmap is a free map :)

Can you list all such India-specific POIs in a separate thread? Maybe one
can start providing solutions for them.

Regards,
Aditya Nag