[Talk-in] Devanagari font feedback

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sun Mar 16 01:28:11 UTC 2014

I'm looking for some feedback on font selection for the default
OpenStreetMap.org layer. One of my projects is to improve the font support
of local scripts, and I'm currently looking at South Asia. Unfortunately, I
can't read the languages I'm working with.

I've put together a list of available openly-licensed Devanagari fonts at
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/414#issuecomment-37
682621 and I'd like feedback on what fonts work well.
My goals are to find a font that is
* Readable, particularly at small sizes
* Consistent in style with DejaVu Sans
* Consistent with cartographic conventions in that language
* is available in normal, bold and oblique (italic) versions

I am leaning towards Chandas as it is similar in style, particularly in the
loops.

Feedback either here or on Github works. I will later be working on other
scripts in the region.