[Talk-in] Bangalore: HOT Mapathon for Nepal Earthquake

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 10:25:36 UTC 2015

Fantastic work everyone! The response to the Nepal mapping efforts has been
unprecedented and is a definite evidence of how citizen led movements like
OSM can make an actual difference on the ground. The activity in the last 5
days over HOT has been frantic and exciting, especially for those who have
been following the IRC channels and mailing list to coordinate with our
friends on the ground in Kathmandu: http://kathmandulivinglabs.org/blog/

At Mapbox Bengaluru, we have kept the office open all week to volunteers to
train them in mapping and also provide remote assistance to groups in other
parts of the country. We have documented some of our efforts here:
https://www.mapbox.com/blog/mapping-nepal/

The OSM maps are already being used by the American Red Cross and we are
getting constant requests for printable maps  that we are working on. The
coming days are going to reveal more stories on where our maps are making
an impact.

Its been wonderful to have been a part this movement that is changing lives
and its really exciting to see whats in store!