[Talk-in] How to tag Sacred Groves (Devrai) in OSM?

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 09:17:34 UTC 2015

This is amazing, never knew about something like this. Details:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_groves_of_India

The most appropriate tag might be: boundary=protected_area +
protect_class=21 [1] which is for areas protected for religious reasons.
This along with an appropriate natural tag like wood/scrub/wetland should
suffice.

[1]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dprotected_area#Social-protected-area

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Devdatta Tengshe <devdatta at tengshe.in>
wrote:

> I was asked this question by Nikhil, who works on open Data in Pune, and I
> thought I should post this question to the OSM India Mailing list
>

> A Devrai (Sacred Grove) is many things at once:
> 1. A place of worship
> 2. A patch of forest / woodland
> 3. A community-led biodiversity conservation hotspot
>
> The continued preservation of many of these across the country has ensured
> the survival of many species in regions where the rest of the area is
> flattened farmland, water retention, etc. There is an ongoing effort by
> some groups to identify and map these so they can be better placed to
> protect them.
>
> There are specific names for different Sacred Groves, usually dedicated to
> a particular deity or identified as the local area's devrai.
>
> How would one feed this information into OSM?
>

> I could only figure out the following tags:
> amenity place_of_worship
> name Sacred Grove
>
> but these don't seem enough. So could you suggest other tags that can be
> used?
>

> --
> Regards,
> Devdatta