[Talk-in] Mapping Uran ...

Mayuresh Kathe mayuresh at kathe.in
Thu Jul 23 07:48:39 UTC 2015

Hello,

I tried to keep this off list as much as I could, but it would be
improper to harangue just one person with newbie type questions.  :-)

I am basically from Mumbai, but also have a certain amount of presence
in a nearby hamlet called Uran (65Kms south east of Mumbai).

I checked out the map for that region on OSM and found very few details.

Given the fact that I would be spending a month there, once in every 2
months (making it around 4 months a year), I would like to invest time
in helping map that region.

I have been advised to take a look at "JOSM" as an editor, but found
"iD" to be a lot better for my current situation, i.e. only portable is
a Google Chromebook.

I solicit advice on the GPS equipment I would need (I don't use a
smartphone).

Would you be kind enough to recommend a decent, low-cost GPS unit for
acquiring data which can be easily used with OSM?

Thanks,

~Mayuresh