[Talk-in] Regionwise offline maps in OsmAnd

Yogesh योगि yogesh at karnatakaeducation.org.in
Wed Jun 17 13:42:37 UTC 2015

Hey everyone,

Good news for OsmAnd users! Regionwise offline maps of India are now
available for download directly from the app. May be they were available
after the latest UI update but I gotta see it now when I tried to update
my offline map data. The regions are split as per the admin boundaries
of State(29) and UT regions(7)[1], so instead of downloading the whole
India(<200MB), users can get only the smaller size State's map which
they need. Currently, although India map data is not as big as countries
like Germany/France, this can still help users here considering the
mobile data connectivity and the growing OSM mappers in India which may
result in increased map data too.

Also the Hindi rendering in OsmAnd looks great![2]. :) And going by the
size of maps, including Maharastra, other south Indian states constitute
more than 50% of Indian OSM data. Few UTs and most North-eastern states
are less than one MB, may be because of their smaller area coverage and
less mapping.

I guess there are quite a few users of OsmAnd[3] here. For those who
haven't heard of it yet, its a open-source map viewing and navigation
application for offline(vector) and online(raster/tile) OSM maps. Its
mainly used with offline vector maps(that have several advantages over
raster/tile maps) and one of the very few open-source OSM apps which
supports vector maps. OsmAnd is currently available for Android and iOS
on Playstore[4]/F-droid[5] and on Appstore[6]. Get it now and see your
contributed OpenStreetMap data in action! I've been using it for past
one year and had submitted couple of pull requests few months back to
include India regions in the app.

[1]https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/India#Indian_states
[2]http://i.imgur.com/nPZ9CyK.jpg
[3]http://osmand.net/