[Talk-in] India Postal Map

Yogesh योगि yogesh at karnatakaeducation.org.in
Sat Mar 28 07:21:42 UTC 2015

On Friday 27 March 2015 01:29 PM, Ishan Chattopadhyaya wrote:
> I like this dataset from the opendata portal,
> https://data.gov.in/catalog/all-india-pincode-directory

Has very useful information of Indian post offices. I could put Head
Post offices and Branch Post offices data with extracted Karnataka place
nodes with postal_code tag - http://yogiks.github.io/osmplaces-pcodes/

More than half of the places in Karnataka which have post offices are
been mapped with postal_code tag but few have been actually mapped with
post offices.

Also added this dataset as potential data source to map post offices in
India to OSM wiki -
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dpost_office#Potential_data_source
which could help mappers in India to map post offices.

And there's
*post_office:type*(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:post_office:type)**which
is a sub-key of *amenity=post_office*. Although its differently used in
different parts of the world, shall we use this key for specifying
whether a post office is Head PO/Branch/Sub offices in India as per the
pincode directory dataset.?

--
Yogesh K S
Sent from an Electronic Device