[Talk-in] classification for rural roads

Nura Uttelamiak uttelamiak at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 11:14:47 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have been trying to map some of the roads around my area.  I have seen
quite a few types of roads around here.

1) Asphalted roads that are wide enough just for a single car/small truck.
There are no shoulders to these kind of roads and the road boundaries are
usually hard walls built around farm land. so if some other car comes in
the opposite direction, you certainly have to go back 100-200meters to let
it  pass.

2) Asphalted roads that are wide enough for a car/small truck, but with
shoulders. so it is possible to let the car in opposite side to pass by
moving over to road shoulder.

3) Asphalted roads that are wide enough for 2 cars or a bus. typically
connects 2 main villeges.

I tried to look at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tagging_Roads_in_India to see how
these roads can be classified. It looks to me that one way to classify this
would be for

(1) => tag is as residential road and put lanes=1

(2) => tag it as unclassified road and put lanes=2

(3) => tag it as tertiary  road and put lanes = 2.

Could somebody comment if this is alright ?

(i still can't make out if Tagging_Roads_in_India page contains a number of
suggestions from different people which is still under discussion or if
there is some consensus. if there is consensus,  can someone familiar with
it put a summary at the end of the page).

thanks,
arun