[Talk-in] India Postal Map

GN nagarjun at gnowledge.org
Sat Mar 28 14:28:06 UTC 2015

On 03/28/2015 12:21 PM, Yogesh योगि wrote:
> On Friday 27 March 2015 01:16 PM, Arun Ganesh wrote:
>> There is a lot of pincode data for major towns and villages in India
>> hidden in the postal_code tag like this
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/340748436
>>
>> Most of this data comes from the AND import in 2008:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/AND_Data
>>
>> Yesterday, I decided to extract the nodes with the postal_code tag and
>> make a pincode+post office map. The result is available here to
>> explore: http://goo.gl/MbPW7p
> amazing map..! :)
>> This already looks like a very useful dataset to analyze pincode
>> patterns and the postal network. Wonder if India Post has something
>> like this internally.
>>
> Although generally we see most of the towns/cities pincodes start with
> *001, I can also see few of them *000.

Arun, wonderful.

Since, initially the specific number may not matter, why not devide the
areas into 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, --- 8.  this way the distribution becomes very
clear.  I completely agree that this dataset is very useful and we
should try to create a layer on OSM.

btw, since postal codes are common in other parts of the world, can you
point me to other visualizations of postal codes?

--
GN