[Talk-in] Network/Operator tags for railway systems

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 09:32:12 UTC 2015

The network and operator tags are used for customized styling like adding
logos to metro station locations and distinguishing different sections of
the network like railway zones and divisions.

Just checked the existing data and there is not much use of these tags in
India, so it is a good time to propose something we could use in the
future. By default we can consider the railway network of the railways in
India to be Indian Railways, therefore only exceptions need explicit
tagging:

Major non IR networks (acronyms preferred), to be used on route relations
and station nodes

   - `network=DMRC` for Delhi metro
   - `network=Mumbai Metro`
   - `network=CMRL` for Chennai metro
   - `network=BMRC` for Bengaluru metro
   - `network=JMRC` for Jaipur metro

IR network operators (full name preferred) to be used on objects

   - `operator=Konkan Railway Corporation`
   - `operator=Southern Railways`
   - `operator=Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation`
   - `operator=Central Railways, Mumbai` for Mumbai division of Central
   railways

Reference:

   - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_transit_in_India
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zones_and_divisions_of_Indian_Railways

As of now Delhi metro is the biggest non IR network and we can start
tagging the stations and routes if there is no objection to using
`network=DMRC`

--
Arun Ganesh
(planemad) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Planemad>