[Talk-in] Seeking advice for tree mapping using OSM

I Chengappa imchengappa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 17:41:09 UTC 2016

For a reliable database of trees, I assume you are keeping your own data as
well. OSM is not the best place to use as a data store, like wikipedia
anything you add or change may get improved, made worse, or deleted.

All the main keys are listed at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dtree . You could also have
local names, in multiple languages and scripts (search the wiki for
multilingual names). For the other data you can add your own keys, but
first ensure that they don't conflict with anything else - discuss these on
the wiki talk page. Beware of different understandings of common words (the
use of circumference to describe tree trunk girth is one of my bugbears).

Bulk data imports should not be made without discussion otherwise they may
be reverted. See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines.

Thanks