[Talk-in] On a interface for translation

Yogesh K S yogesh at itforchange.net
Sun Jan 24 21:33:21 UTC 2016

Hi Sibi,

Great to see some progress with respect to adding Indic languages in
OSM. Although bulk uploading of data is generally discouraged, you can
look at Nomino[1] which is specifically made for name translation. iD
editor may be better to start with, but you can also try out JOSM[2] and
use its filter funtion[3] to filter out features which don't have Tamil
language tags in your downloaded mapping data and easily add the Tamil
names. It may take some time in the beginning with JOSM, but once you
get hold of it, you can become a power mapper with it![4]

Normally I add Kannada names along-with English names whenever I create
any new element on OSM in Karnataka region and also add them if I don't
see Kannada names whenever I do regular mapping usually with JOSM.
Currently, I see that the number of Tamil names in India[5] is almost
half compared to rest of the world[6]. Hopefully, this difference would
be decreased in near future as more contributors begin to add regional
language names alongside English names.

[1]http://nomino.openstreetmap.fr/
[2]http://learnosm.org/en/josm/start-josm/
[3]http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Dialog/Filter