[Talk-in] Multilingual name tagging convention in India

Amaroussi (OpenStreetMap) mapper at minoa.li
Thu Jul 21 18:57:03 UTC 2016

Hi,

At the moment both Belgium and Switzerland have used two and four languages for the “name=*” tag respectively.

I wish to check if anyone has ever discussed before the possibility of setting the country’s default name to “name=India - भारत”, to reflect the fact that Hindi and English are equally official languages of the Union?

I might consider similar for the states, but in the state official languages, such as “name=Telangana - తెలoగాణ - تلنگانہ”.

I would personally support this idea because of the situation of the country and nearly all of the 29 states having joint official languages like Belgium.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_with_official_status_in_India#List

— Amaroussi.