[Talk-in] Indian districts tagging

Yogesh K S yogesh at itforchange.net
Fri Mar 11 15:18:22 UTC 2016

Currently I see that we have tagged most of the Indian districts(more
than 300) with place=county[1] but this tag is mainly used on nodes
rather than on administrative boundaries ways that are tagged with
boundary=administrative.[2] But we have added administrative boundaries
for all districts in India[3] and haven't tagged with place tags. And
also we have used admin_level=5 for all district boundaries but the wiki
shows admin_level=6 for district boundaries.[4]

Request the community to comment or provide suggestions on -

     1. Whether to use place=district instead of place=county since we
refer them as districts on the ground in India.[2]
     2. Whether to update the India wiki page to avoid confusion on
using admin_level=5 for districts considering we haven't added revenue
division boundaries[4].

[1]taginfo.openstreetmap.in/tags/place=county
[2]http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place#Administratively_declared_places
[3]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_districts_in_India
[4]http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_India/Boundaries#Administrative_divisions

cheers,