[Talk-in] Geocoding Vikarabad District, Telangana

Sree harsha Thanneru nanoharsha at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 14:29:39 UTC 2017

Hi Arun,

Thanks for the response, yes the OSM data for Vikarabad seems to very less,
and another issue is also about different spellings of villages from
different govt sources. I am ready to put some efforts in populating this
for the district. I am meetimg @Surya from factly <https://factly.in/>
tomorrow and they have been working closely with State Govt.on Opendata
implementation, so will see what would come out of it.

@Chetan,
Nice to hear from you, and we are in surely need of some hands with
experience in mapping to learn and visualise the data in a better way. Let
me know if you want to have a quick chat/talk and we can take it from there.

p.s : I have added in the mail loop, Vaishnavi who I met today, and she was
also enquiring about shape files of Vikarabad, and specifically Daulatabad
Mandal. She is a PHD student at Wisconsin University, and is currently
focussing on Credit & livelihood issues of farmers in Daulatabad Mandal
currently working out of Vikarabad too :)
I have also added Surya from factly in the mail too.

There is a datameet forum topic
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/datameet/nSrggW4iA14>also around
this by Srihari.
Hope we can collectively work together on this.

Cheers,
Harsha

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 1:10 PM Chetan H A <chetanha91 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sree Harsha,
>
> "Farmer Distress Helpline" looks like amazing work you are carrying on.
> I'm from the rural background, let me know if you need help in mapping and
> other open data activities. Happy to help!
>
> Best,
> Chetan
>
> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 12:39 AM, Arun Ganesh <arun.planemad at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> If you want a OSM based geocoder, give
>> https://geocoder.opencagedata.com/demo a try. It looks like Vikarabad
>> does not have many villages mapped, so it probably won't give good results
>> till you improve OSM.
>>
>> If using Google is giving bad results, its unlikely one can do much to
>> improve the results.
>>

>> On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 11:47 PM, Sree harsha Thanneru <
>> nanoharsha at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I have been working on "Farmer Distress Helpline" project in newly
>>> created Vikarabad District,Telangana called KisanMitra, and as part of it
>>> looking to map the primary data which we get from farmers, but also various
>>> secondary data like Rainfall, Ground Water level, cropping pattern this
>>> year, and many more to understand the Issues more deeply, & also to find
>>> inter linkages.
>>> For the same, I tried to geocode some of the village data we have within
>>> our system, but have not been successful. I have only tried a few addon's
>>> in google sheets(I know a very bad attempt!!) Anyone has a good idea of how
>>> to achieve the same in a better way with lesser errors ? Is there a list of
>>> geo-coded info of villages along with corresponding Mandals we could use if
>>> already available?
>>> Fairly new at mapping, so eagerly looking for guidance to get going !!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Harsha
>>> +919966089839 <+91%2099660%2089839>
>>> --