[Talk-in] Change of merged bank names in OpenStreetMap

Bharata H S bharatagubbi at gmail.com
Sun May 14 11:38:52 UTC 2017

In reference with [1
<http://www.thehindu.com/business/Industry/sbi-five-associate-banks-bmb-merge-with-sbi/article17757316.ece>
], [2
<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/industry/banking/finance/banking/post-merger-sbi-begins-operations-as-unified-entity/articleshow/57962972.cms>]
and the earlier discussion in this thread, pulled out a list of bank names
that needs to be renamed as State Bank of India.

The steps followed were,

   1. Overpass query <http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/oQt> with amenity=bank for
   the geocoding area of India.
   2. The raw data as .csv was extracted and imported to a spreadsheet.
   3. Used simple filtering to classify the required banks that need to be
   renamed. *Spreadsheet*
   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17VXVWQVF1rujmQiSQVrXiTOi2sRImh29I2JCGWCKaxc/edit#gid=1622201629>
   4. There are 594 entries that needs to be fixed.
   5. Created a JOSM link to assist the addition of modified name. This adds
      1. name=State Bank of India
      2. short_name=SBI [short_name  -  Common abbreviation, useful for
      searching (recognised by Nominatim).
      http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name ]
      3. wikidata=Q1340361 (*Ref <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q1340361>)*
      4. wikipedia=en:State Bank of India (*Ref
      <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Bank_of_India>)*
      5. website=https://www.sbi.co.in  <https://www.sbi.co.in>

   1. There is also a link to open the feature and edit with *iD editor. *But
   the tags mentioned above are not added automatically.
   2. The feature corresponding to the bank could be viewed on
   OpenStreetMap using the View in OSM link.
   3.  Added a Status column and a progress tracker table to keep track of
   the count.

*Note*: The current list contains only features tagged as amenity=bank in
OpenStreetMap and doesn’t include ATMs that are usually tagged as
amenity=atm. The list also includes banks which are just named as *SBI *and
doesn’t have the proper name as State Bank of India. The intention behind
this was to standardise all State banks on OpenStreetMap.

[1] -
http://www.thehindu.com/business/Industry/sbi-five-associate-banks-bmb-merge-with-sbi/article17757316.ece
[2] -
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/banking/finance/banking/post-merger-sbi-begins-operations-as-unified-entity/articleshow/57962972.cms

Share your thoughts on this and any suggestions are welcome on the
approach.

Link to Spreadsheet: