[Talk-in] [datameet] How does OSM store its data

Devdatta Tengshe devdatta at tengshe.in
Mon Feb 5 05:53:40 UTC 2018

Hi Nikhil,

The Database design has been documented here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Database

This is, at its essence, a modified EAV Model(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity–attribute–value_model). A good place
to start researching for these kinds of database design, is to look at
various documents on EAV, its shortcomings & Strengths.

You should also evaluate if a NoSQL/Object Store database might be a better
fit for your purpose, than designing an EAV Data model to be stored in a
relational Database.

Regards,
Devdatta