[Talk-in] Extracting rivers as multipolygons

Aruna S safincrazy at gmail.com
Sat May 5 12:44:54 UTC 2018

Hi!

I am running some experiments on extracting tiles from 100m buffers on the
river banks of either sides of major rivers in India.

Currently, I am able to do this perfectly well for rivers as ways, for
example, https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/yxO

However this is not useful to me, since the river feature is drawn at the
center of the actual river, and the tiles I extract turn out to be river
tiles instead of tiles that make up the river bank. It'd be super useful
for me, if I could work with multipolygons/relations that are drawn to
represent the actual river, for example on
https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=16/24.4812/79.8781

Is it possible to extract these and work with them in this manner, using
Turf? I know relations cannot be represented on a geojson file, but I am
not sure if I am missing something specific in this context.

Any help would be useful!

Warmly,
Aruna