[Talk-in] OSM India Chapter

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 03:32:36 UTC 2020

> now we have a model where PyCon India [1] is organized on rotation from
> various users groups from around country,these users groups aka chapters
> have no formal body they exist on Mailing lists and meetup groups [2] they
> first show case the strenght in organizing the event of this magnitude then
> we rally behind them to make it happen, its the local organizing community
> which drives and decides how they want to spend the money for an event ,
> there are no gatekeepers at the end of the event all the financials are
> made public after every event.

Quite impressive, this also encourages smaller local groups to be active
rather than having a powerful central body which inevitably tends to become
distanced from those on the ground.

Does every conference need to find a new supporting institution to handle
financials? Thats a part that can burn out volunteers trying to organize
events/conferences and making sure the accounting is taken care of.