[Talk-is] Eskifjörður gpx tracks

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 03:47:00 GMT 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 3:33 AM, Arnar Birgisson <arnarbi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah ok, I understand now (tried practice mode). You don't really use
> the track themselve, you just draw on top of them, right?

Yes, although you can convert them directly to OSM data with some
tools, but that usually leaves you with a lot of garbage and redundant
data. It's best to draw manually on top of the data.

Here's an example of our OSM data with the source GPS tracks displayed
in the background (purple):

http://flickr.com/photos/avarab/3123173625/sizes/o/

That's josm b.t.w. which is a desktop editor for OSM, you've been
using Potlatch I gather, but the same applies in either case.

> This is easy :) If it wasn't almost 4 am I'd start entering roads myself :)

Have fun editing OSM. If you need any help with tagging this page is useful:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features

It also helps to look at some other data we have, Akranes would be a
decent example as it is probably the most completely mapped town in
the DB (aside from those in the capital area).