[Talk-is] Mapping Party

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 22:30:32 BST 2009

I have been in contact with Björgvin and we've been hammering out some
ideas and now it's time to bring it to the list to get your thoughts
and help.

I have been experimenting with walking-papers.org for Reykjavik to see
how easy it is. I think we could get a lot more people involved in
mapping Iceland if they knew they could just do a small part and
didn't need a GPS.

So here's our thoughts about a small mapping party. We can find a
venue, most easily http://www.hugmyndahus.com/ and at the meeting do a
series of short demos and presentations, inviting new comers. The
agenda might be something like:

1) OSM introduction: Let people know what OSM is, why it is better
than other maps, etc. Lots of people don't even know it exists

2) State of the Icelandic map: describe where we were, were we are now
and the goals for the future.

3) Explain Walking Papers: We can get wifi and a printer at the venue,
then let people print off their neighbourhood at the meeting, then we
can all chat and maybe go for a drink.

Then, a week or so later, have a second meeting. People can bring
their walking-papers back and we can scan them in (and/or print more).
This give people an opportunity to ask questions and for us to get
feedback about how well they did. At this point, we can also get more
indepth with the map editors, what is a 1st, 2nd, 3rd level road, how
do you annotate a wooded area in iceland, etc.

Who's interested in helping? I can organize some of the stuff and help
spread the word, but I'd need the help from people on this list to
work on #1 and #2 (and other meeting points they want). I'm happy to
talk about #3 or if someone else has more experience, they can
volunteer.

What does everyone think and when would be best to organize this?

-brian

--
brian suda
http://suda.co.uk