[Talk-is] Mapping Party

Baldvin Hansson baldvin at rogg.is
Thu Jul 16 22:53:31 BST 2009

> --- what would be in this kit?

We have a fairly accurate gps, handheld computer with very simple to use
program with postal codes and streets in it and some basic functions to cut
gps tracks up in easier to post-process files. It prepares gpx files ready
for import into an editor. And then we annotate (still) on paper sheets
using the time on the handheld (from gps) as reference for the location at
any given time. Now we're considering how to add more features to this
without complicating the whole thing.

So in our case, the kit is focusing on the creation of new gps traces.
Obviously there are a lot of other things to consider, and that's where this
comes in:

> I tried the walking papers
> http://walking-papers.org/scan.php?id=bdtgnkvs and i'm not sure it
> could have been any easier!

Have to agree. Actually forgot to say earlier that I consider walking-papers
exactly one kind of such Kit. It can work wonders.

> Instead of a whole kit, how about a cheatsheet, everyone loves those!

Absolutely. That's one of the things we've been wondering about here after
we started editing and taging and preparing data. What are the proposed
best-practices for Iceland (or the world, you get my point). It would help a
lot to have such document. And that's what we're actually trying to compile
for our own use, as part of that before mentioned kit.

> Thoughts?

You are absolutely on the mark in my opinion.

Baldvin