[Talk-is] Road number system; Vegaskrá and OSM data

Christoph Hess christoph at hess-familie.de
Fri Jul 31 20:05:28 BST 2009

Hi,

I currently was looking at some roads. I discovered that there are in
fact some roads that were numbered (or were in the old PDF Vegaskrá) but
in the newest Excel-list not anymore. For example road 238 on
Vestmannaeyjar. I wrote an email to Vegagerðin about this. Here is the
answer:

---
"the reason for this is that we are in the process of changing the
ownership of some roads that Vegagerðin (the Icelandic Road
Administration) runs, the municipalities will overtake some roads. One
of them is road nr. 238

this is based on a law that took effect January 1, 2008. We therefore
published a Vegaskrá according to the new law in 2008, however we have
not finished negotiating with all the municipalities and so even though
we have published the new Vegaskrá we are still servicing road nr 238.
That is though only a question of time. "
---

So, what shall we do on openstreetmap data? Deleting those road numbers
that are not in the Vegaskrá and stick to Vegaskrá or keep up logging
and numbering the roads according to the road signs? But what if these
road signs are going to be removed in the near or distant future?

Any ideas about this subject? Maybe a comparison list would be
interesting... or putting out of date numbers with a special marking on
the Wikipedia article?

Christoph