[Talk-it-trentino] Hiking path rendering

Marco Stronati marco.stronati at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 10:11:28 UTC 2013

Hello all,
I'd like to be able to use osm to hike, much like I use 'Cartine Tabacco' or
'Kompass'. The long term goal would be to have a website where you can select
a route and then print a stack of A4 papers with maps and info on the route,
something like the current print of google maps. Unfortunately for now we
don't even have the number of the paths rendered properly, let alone path
difficulty etc.

For now I added a section [1] to the wiki page on hiking with some rendering
issues I found in various maps. I would like to start an effort on the wiki
with the 'Alps' mailing lists to define a standard rendering style we'd like
and then post the result as a series of bug reports on mapnik default style.

This mail is just to sample the interest, or maybe even the efforts already
started is this direction, in a region where there is the perfect mix of open
data and mountaineers. If there is interest then the next logical step would
be to create a dedicate ml where to meet with other italian regions touching
the Alps and our neighboring countries.

bye
Marco

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Hiking#Rendering_Issues