[Talk-it] Fwd: [OSM-talk] Any cyclists interested in a Grand European Sweden-to-Marathon Mapping Relay?
simone at cortesi.com
Wed Aug 27 13:07:12 BST 2008
io ci sono!
spero interessi anche a qualcuno piu' a sud di me...cosi' la facciamo
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mike Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz>
Date: Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 1:44 PM
Subject: [OSM-talk] Any cyclists interested in a Grand European
Sweden-to-Marathon Mapping Relay?
To: OSM Talk <talk at openstreetmap.org>, talk-se at openstreetmap.org
This is just for fun but might also raise some useful publicity as quirky stunt.
Would any cyclist be interested in joining me in a "mapping relay"?
My legs are getting too tired trying to map national and regional
cycle ways by myself.
The idea is that we each ride and map a segment and then pass on a
baton, perhaps a GPS device, to the next person or group. It could
take place continuously or over a period of weeks as suits you/us, but
you must greet the hand-off riders in person.
You will probably want to ride around your own region but there is
nothing to stop you joining other segments if you have a sleeping bag,
I'll be happy to put folks up at my house for my segment.
Here are the basic ideas, modifications and suggestions welcome:
- Start: Stockholm, or if there is good interest in Sweden, from the
- Finish: Ideally Marathon in Greece. Lacking Balkan riders, perhaps
Rome or Brindisi in Italy.
- When: If continuous, some time in warmer 2009 weather. Otherwise,
we can start as soon as the Swedish segments are organised.
- Possible route: Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Holland (land of the
Bicycle!), Germany, Switzerland/Austria, Hungary, Serbia, F.Y.R.O.M,
- Route variations: Swing through Belgium and France? Adriatic coast:
Slovenia, Croatia ....? Have feeder relay coming from UK??
- Length of segment: Entirely up to you as long as you can connect
with someone else.
- Segment Route: Ideally along unmapped national or regional cycle
routes but the exact segment route is up to the local riders. The
objective is fun.
- All GPX tracks to be uploaded and tagged. All new routes to be mapped.
- Does not have to be bicycle. Foot, roller-blade, kayak ... could be
added if there is interest.
talk mailing list
talk at openstreetmap.org
More information about the Talk-it