[Talk-it] Le mappe di OSM sono usate sul campo, e ci ringraziano!

Edoardo 'Yossef' Marascalchi edoardo at edoardomarascalchi.it
Sun Jan 24 14:17:58 GMT 2010

http://www.opengeodata.org/2010/01/24/osm-the-default-map-in-haiti/

/ I am currently in Port Au Prince with the Fairfax County Urban Search
& Rescue Team (USA-1) out of Fairfax, VA, USA. I wish there was a way
that I can express to you properly how important your OSM files were to
us. Most of our team members own their own Garmin Rino and 60CSx units
on top of the units we already have in the cache. Having these detailed
maps on our GPS units is a big deal. Shortly after discovering your work
I quickly spread the word and transferred the street level maps onto as
many Garmin units as we could before sending the American rescue teams
on the streets. The team members are thrilled to have this resource you
have created. I wish you could see their faces 'light up' when I take
their GPS unit and tell them that I'm going to give them street level
detail maps. They have been working VERY hard and anything that can help
them in every aspect of their mission here is greatly appreciated. I am
spreading the word about this work to all rescue and humanitarian teams
on the ground here in Haiti. Please be assured that we are using your
data -- I just wish we knew about this earlier. THANK YOU!/