[Talk-it] Should StreetComplete stop adding addresses in Italy?

Andrea Albani aobani a gmail.com
Ven 13 Lug 2018 22:40:18 UTC

Il ven 13 lug 2018, 23:04 Tobias Zwick <osm a westnordost.de> ha scritto:

> Certainly, StreetComplete can be very useful in filling the white spots
> regarding addresses in Italy, and it is true that as OSM is a
> collaborative project, other mappers can later separate the address from
> the building outline and put it on the entrance(s) to make it conform to
> the guidelines.

I strongly agree with the "progressive" approach in which some put data and
later others refine it, but here we are talking about a complex situation.
There are several towns in Italy that after imports or good local work have
a complete mapping of house numbers on separate nodes while others
completely miss them.
In both cases looking only at missing tags in buildings will lead to a
false perception of the situation, because also the well mapped towns will
appear as "white spots" to be filled.
What would happen if some StreetComplete users start filling the gaps where
all the house numbers are already mapped?
I really understand the value of your app, but we are back to step zero: as
long as the current rules are in place I think that it could be risky to
let people map in the way you propose.
I would in any case suggest to wait some more time to let the community
further discuss about the topic.

Ciao