layers since all the imported waterways I checked had generally a
layer= tag from -1 to -3 on them regardless the reality (compared with
Bing).
The waterways I extracted from japan.osm.pbf at download.geofabrik.de
using osmfilter². The result with 2670 intersections you can find
here³.
A cleanup by the importers would be nice. It also would be interesting
to check the other parts of the import but I leave that to other
people. :)

An updated check I will only deliver on request since the script is
quite slow. As you can see on bottom of the result page it took more
then 80 hours to run.

I put the text above also to the matching wiki page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue/Japan_KSJ2_Import#Post_Import_Cleanup

Best regards
Thomas

¹