[OSM-ja] Discussion mechanical edit (note, note:ja)

Peter Barth osm-peda @ won2.de
2014年 10月 17日 (金) 13:19:11 UTC

Dear mappers from Japan,

first of, I'm sorry I have to write in English to this list.

Due to different reasons (mainly MapRoulette) I'm often mapping
in Japan. I came accross huge amounts of imports (mostly KSJ2 as
source, but others, too). One thing I discovered that I find
annoying (mostly when using JOSM):

For a huge amount of ways not only a source- and source_ref-tag
was added but also a note- and note:ja-tag. E.g.
  note=National-Land Numerical Information (Administrative area) 2008, MLIT Japan
  note:ja=国土数値情報(行政区域データ)平成20年 国土交通省
These tags were not only added to the ways but also to their
nodes. See e.g. this way
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/55877995#map=14/36.1056/137.8007
and one of the way's nodes here
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/701559083#map=19/36.08733/137.75999

According to the Mechanical Edit Policy in a first step edits
have to be discussed. As it matters for Japan only, I chose
the talk-ja mailing list.

In my opinion, at least all note- and note:ja tags on nodes
should be removed if the same note- and note:ja-tag is present
on the according way, too. Not only is the current information
redundant but it's also a misuse of the note-tag (at least
according to the English wiki description, see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Note).

I'd help to document and execute such edits (whatever the details
of this discussion might be). But I'd be even more happy if a
native speaker would deal with this matter so that the Japanese
community is not forced to discuss this in English only. Anyway,
in a first step this should be discussed.

Thanks and kind regards,
Peda