[Talk-ko] Questionable imagery

Robert Helvie alimamo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 15:37:16 UTC 2017

Hello,

Does anyone know this user?
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/%ED%99%A9%EC%9E%AC%EC%8A%B9

It appears that he is new and has added a lot of items recently. I am happy
to have more local mappers, but I have a big concern.

>From his changesets you can see that he is using custom imagery for mapping
with the iD editor. The concern I have is that it LOOKS LIKE he is pulling
the imagery from this site: http://map.vworld.kr/map/wcmaps.do# (pretty
ingenious, actually). The imagery is much better than Mapbox or Bing, but
it may not legally be usable with OSM.

Of course my Korean is not good enough to find the supplier for the imagery
on that website, but I expect the license may not actually be compatible
for use with OSM. If he is using that imagery to trace items or locate
business, then he risks adding data to the OSM database that is not
compatible and could put OSM in jeopardy.

I have just written to him through OSM asking about the imagery and how he
uses it, but of course my message was in English.

If a Korean speaker could have a look at the website and find out more
about the imagery and whether or not it is OK to use it with OSM (legally),
that would help. And/or have a chat with the user, that might also be good.

Thanks,

Robert