[OpenStreetMap talk-lu] [RFC] Possible import of remarkable trees

David Morais Ferreira david.moraisferreira at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 15:55:40 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,
While browsing through the INSPIRE catalog [1], I noticed that there
is a CC0 data set that contains 535 points of remarkable trees (fr:
arbres remarquables, de: bemerkenswerte Bäume).

As there are currently only 8 remarkable trees (natural=* and
denotation=natural_monument) mapped in Luxembourg [2], I believe that
importing this small dataset could be beneficial, especially if we add
a wikipedia=* reference for each remarkable tree [3].

That said, there are some open points that could really use some
discussion/feedback:

P1: How to map tree groups (type=Gruppe) and avenues (two-sided tree
rows, type=Allee)?

I’d really like to avoid using relations. Personally, I’d map a group
as individual trees, and alleys as two separate tree rows.
Unfortunately this approach leads to duplication of information. Note
that most data points are single trees though.

P2: Should we add name=* to the trees, as can be seen on the Wiki page [3]?

I’m all for adding name=* to the trees. It’s useful when searching for an area.

P3: Is there a quick way to retrieve the correct Wikipedia page [3]
for each remarkable tree?

I know some pages contain coordinates, is there a simple way to query
this data? Are there any licensing issues if we/I were to do this?

Regards
David

[1] https://catalog.inspire.geoportail.lu/geonetwork/srv/eng/catalog.search#/metadata/bf367452-c965-4ae1-b652-bd2c86400be5
[2] https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/JUS