[Talk-lv] Fwd: [Talk-ee] Hello from Latvian project

Gints Polis polis.gints at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 09:12:31 BST 2010

Lūdzu jūsu komentārus/ierosinājumus.

Gints

---------- Pārsūtītais ziņojums ----------
No: Jaak Laineste <jaak at openstreetmap.ee>
Datums: 2010. gada 24. septembris 15:01
Temats: RE: [Talk-ee] Hello from Latvian project
Kam: Gints Polis <polis.gints at gmail.com>

Hi Gints,

We don't have any proposal ready, we have just an idea that something could
be done. Just for info, our current local OSM project had following main
activities/costs:

-        Local servers for localized maps (in Estonian)

-        Mapping parties (about 4 of them, 2 are done)

-        Trainings - one special for geography teachers is done

-        Software and wiki translation services

-        Creation of own "localized" map layout

-        Marketing materials and costs (small amount)

-        Project management

We have official permission from our national mapping agency (maaamet.ee)
that they allow to use their WMS service for maps and aerial images. These
tend to be outdated, but are very detailed. So we don't need much more extra
aerials here.

For the cooperation contents my current ideas are:

-        Cross-border mapping parties - not only mapping, but also idea and
experience exchange.  In current project we had way too small budget, so we
could buy a mapping cake and that's it. Next time also accommodation,
peoples' travel cost etc should be included, also GPSs and other smaller
tools.

-        Maybe some regional costs could be included, like your needed
aerials for Latvia; if we include also some Estonian areas, and these would
be also needed for the cross-border mapping parties.

-        GeoBus Baltics, like http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GeoBus. In
Tallinn there is one company using also US school-bus for IT services (
http://www.itbuss.ee/eng/itbuss), so could ask technical help from them

Regarding specific EstLat program: it is important to know that we should be
able to cover the costs, and these (85% of them to be precise, but the rest
could be also our own unpaid working hours) will be covered later by
program, after reviewing reports etc. This means that some kind of bridge
financing should be organized for about 6 months (it will take 2-6 months
from making spending to getting funds). In some cases bank gives loan (with
the project itself as guarantee), but also then some bigger organization
would be useful to back it. So this is also one consideration when choosing
which organization could be suitable. This is quite common with most of our
support systems, I guess it is usual in Latvia also.

Jaak