[Talk-ma] [OKFILTER] Osmose - détection de problème avec name, name:fr et name:ar

John Freed john.freed.paris at gmail.com
Mar 3 Mar 16:05:01 UTC 2015

Thank you, Fred, I will reply in English, my first language.

I like your idea even though it appears to go against the standard here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names

It appears (though not always well defined) that these tags should be used:
int_name = a Latinate transliteration of a local name
name = local name
name:code = translation of local name

So in the case of Morocco you would have name and name:ar with the same
entry, and int_name a transliterated version, while name:fr would be
translated.

I had an example just arise:

name = كسب المعرفة
name:ar = كسب المعرفة
int_name = Kasb Al Maarifa
name:fr = Conquête Du Savoir
name:en = Conquest of Knowledge

Interestingly, this is the name of a school that advertises its name in
Arabic and French, so you normally would not find Kasb Al Maarifa in their
materials, though a search using that name is useful.

I presume your proposal is intended to correct deficiencies in how names
are rendered in a multilingual situation. I am not sure, however, that
concatenating different languages in the name tag is the right answer. You
would propose:

name = Conquête Du Savoir كسب المعرفة

...which would be a very long name indeed to display in most renderers. And
it doesn't even offer Kasb Al Maarifa, which is what most search engines
would want.

Since translations are difficult but transliterations are relatively
simple, perhaps it would be better to focus on the int_name tag, at least
in Morocco, and leave the name tag alone. If anything, name should just be
the same as name:ar in Morocco, although I would admit that as a Latin
alphabet user I would prefer that my local renderer would use int_name for
its principal display.