[Talk-my] 25th July #MapLesotho International Mapathon

Dave Corley davecorley at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 17:04:54 UTC 2014

First off, apologies for cross posting, trying to spread the word to as
large an audience as possible.

tl;dr, a group of Irish OpenStreetMap members are organising a mapathon on
25th July to map large sections of Lesotho and we are looking for
individuals or groups to participate from around the world. Presently we
have 3 groups participating from Lesotho, Ireland, & Germany.

We will be using the HOT tasking manager to coordinate 2 large tasks
- Rural - identify and map the outline of settlements, the major routes to
and from these settlements and any major features (rivers, lakes etc)
- Urban - Trace building outlines and complete road networks

A bit of background....

In conjunction with Action Ireland Trust [1], a number of Irish OSM members
from Fingal County Council [2] traveled to Lesotho for a number of weeks in
2013 and then again early in 2014 to assist and train district planners in
utilising OSM data. This was done in agreement with the Ministry for Local
Government and Chieftainship and the Chief Physical Planner of Lesotho. The
trip culminated in an historic memorandum of understanding between Lesotho
and Fingal County Council [3]

Another group are planning to travel in early 2015 with the following
objectives as part of their visit:
- Create an OSM community in Lesotho by engaging with local communities and
providing training and guidance on surveying and updating OSM
- Create a basemap of the country for use by all
- Create an evidence base for decision makers
- Create an awakeness of Urban Design

Further details can be found on the wiki page [4]

Thanks,
Dave (DaCor)

[1] - http://actionirelandtrust.ie/
[2] - http://www.fingalcoco.ie/