[OSM-talk-nl] OSMF fondsen & hardware

Grant Slater openstreetmap at firefishy.com
Mon Feb 9 01:41:34 UTC 2009

Sorry I cannot write Dutch; I am only able to write in Afrikaans and
English.

Stefan:
 > Wat een non-sense; Kennisnet heeft al een jaar geleden aangeboden OSM
hardware te sponsoren. De OSMF heeft genoeg geld over van de laatste
SOTM, dus er is geen enkele cent van gebruikers nodig om dit te realiseren.
 > Ik raad daarmee ook iedereen af om geld te doneren aan een
organisatie die niet transparant is naar haar gebruikers.

Kennisnet did offer support in ~Aug 2007. It took me a while to work out
the hardware requirements as I was fairly new to the sysadmin team. I
think by the time we submitted what we needed in early Nov 07 the offer
had lapsed. Since then the project's hardware requirements have grown
drastically.

The OSMF did have money "left over" after the last SOTM, this is clearly
shown in the AGM report of August 2008
http://foundation.openstreetmap.org/2nd-annual-general-meeting-london-1400-august-30th-2008/meeting-report/

OSMF needs to keep funds in reserve to fund/underwrite the following
years SOTM. Sponsors do pay, but normally only after then conference has
already passed. The OSMF also has other expenses.

Alone, since the AGM, I have spend OSM funds on the following hardware:
3x HP DL360 G5 Servers, 1x APC AP7950 and misc networking
Documented here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Servers/Upgrades#Upgrade_History

If you do have finance questions, it's likely best to ask the OSMF
treasurer directly: treasurer at osmfoundation.org
Otherwise I am happy to answer any other question you might have,
preferred in English or very simple dutch.

Kind regards
 Grant