[OSM-talk-nl] Funding request

Gert Gremmen g.gremmen at cetest.nl
Fri Feb 20 10:11:31 UTC 2009

Graag jullie mening over onderstaand funding request

voor iets van de resterende 15K.

In dat geval kunnen we 8-16 uur betaalbaar stellen.

Ervan uitgaande dat buitenlandse bijdragen geen probleem vormen.

Let wel, het gaat om de uitbreiding in de 2e lijst met aandachtspunten.

I've been following the proposal for funding OSM software development
during the last months. As I understand from the last news [1] the
project is now open for funding small projects which provide other
functionalities than the ones that were considered as most important
(mobile editor, compatibility with GEO protocols, etc.).

Our proposal is for a new routing plugin for JOSM (there was an older
one which is no longer functional). We've almost finished a first
version of this plugin with the following basic funcionality:

*	Create and remove routing layers. Each routing layer is
associated with a data layer.
*	Add, remove and move routing nodes to a routing layer. When more
than 2 nodes are added, a route is computed and displayed. Adding,
removing and moving route nodes triggers route calculation again, and
refreshes the routing layer.
*	Compute reverse route.

This plugin will be soon published. We think it provides some benefits
to the OSM community, like enabling the testing of connectivity between
2 given nodes, to make sure a certain area is suitable for routing for
other applications, and fixing connectivity problems, since detected
errors can be directly fixed by means of JOSM editing capabilities.

We have ideas to add further functionalities in newer versions, but this
is an spare-time project for us, and our resources are limited. These
functionalities would include:

*	Create and remove connectivity layers. This kind of layer would
show a shortest path tree on a given area, given an origin point (and
optionally a search radius), so you can actually see the full
connectivity from an origin node in an area, and detect separate areas
(like footpaths in parks not being connected with streets).
*	Considering speed limits and turn restrictions in routing.
*	Define different routing profiles. User defined routing profiles
would allow to define a bicycle profile, car profile, foot profile,
disabled profile, and so on, with different use of oneway tags, turn
restrictions, speed limits and different speed for each highway type,
for each kind of user.
*	Create and remove traveling salesman layers. This kind of layer
may be useful for mapping parties. A shortest path traversing all
desired nodes would be computed. For areas without any osm data, you
would sketch the streets with and WMS overlay and select nodes to be
traversed in the most efficient way. We still haven't made provisions
about which computation requirements and limitations would present this
functionality.

To sum up, we are thinking in both final user functionalities and
mapping user functionalities. I was wondering if the funding project
would be interested in such an application. Also, if you are interested
in testing the first version when it's finally released, just keep in
touch.

Gert Gremmen

Openstreetmap.nl  (alias: cetest)

P Before printing, think about the environment.