[OSM-talk-nl] [OSM-talk] Corine Land Cover becomes a potential OSM data source...

Martijn van Exel mvexel at gmail.com
Thu May 14 15:03:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 16:52, Lennard <ldp at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Martijn van Exel wrote:
>>
>> Interesting. We will be having the same kind of import versus existing
>> data issue once more (if and) when the Nationaal Wegenbestand
>> (National road database) is made available by the transport ministry.
>> I did not give it much thought yet - may be some of my Dutch
>> co-OSM-ers will have a more elaborate train of thought - but I was
>> thinking along similar lines: import the data but tag it so that it
>> won't show up in the map. Have a dedicated map layer on a local server
>> that can be used to check existing user data, may be even a Potlatch
>> layer if at all possible. I guess JOSM support would be easy enough
>> through the WMS plugin.
>
> I have to agree with Frederik on this. With the NWB you mention, it's likely
> the vast majority of it will not be relevant to NL coverage, since we
> already have had a mass import of AND data. Why should we 'pollute' the OSM
> db with data that's not going to be used on a large scale.

I disagree with you on relevance. The NWB data is likely to be more
current and much more detailed than the AND data, so much of it will
be relevant and usable - although not directly. While the level of
detail would make for a massive import, setting up a NWB WMS layer to
be used in JOSM would probably be a better idea than to import the
entire NWB into the OSM db. I don't know what kind of layer Potlatch
would be able to handle, but we could probably try and provide a
yahoo-compatible tile layer on top of the WMS.

T o be discussed on talk-nl - we're getting OT here ;)

> I'd too rather see such a source of data on a separate layer/db, through WMS
> for instance, so that we can compare, and (like Gervase puts it) "merge
> down" what we want.

Yes - I'm with you there, although we should take a close look at NWB
to see if there's some direct import possibilities. I'm thinking for
example cycle paths along roads, but I don't want to get ahead of
things here.

--
Martijn