[OSM-talk-nl] [Tagging] Rd --> Road

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon Jan 2 16:40:26 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 7:37 AM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:
> On 12/29/2011 12:53 PM, Richard Welty wrote:
>>
>> i saw some failures of a script run over
>> Nevada Iowa last year (not necessarily the script you're referring to):
>>
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=42.02091&lon=-93.44698&zoom=15&layers=M
>>
>> the script had converted E Ave to East Avenue, N Ave to North Avenue and
>> S Ave
>> to South Avenue, all of which were errors (Nevada avenue names are
>> single letters.)
>

> This was not the referenced 'expand' script, which in my opinion *should* be
> run on the rest of the US.   Unlike the rest of OSM work, handcrafted name
> expansion adds no value to the map database. There are errors - if I were to
> ever armchair-edit E Ave, I would almost certainly expand it to East Avenue,
> whereas the script has logic to prevent that error.   Another argument
> against manual expansion is that it is not unheard of for newbies to come in
> behind and undo all expansion with abbreviations because that's what they
> are used to seeing on other maps - more wasted work.
>
>  But I realize that current project opinion does not support automatic
> expansion.   The best I can hope for is a JOSM plugin that automatically
> expands current edits or all ways in the current dataset download.

I would like to see that discussion reopened too. Those abbreviated
names are just odd -- and a half-executed correct script is just
something we should not want to live with. Thanks Toby for pointing to
your blog post, the visualization is very compelling.

What makes you think that the current common opinion is against
automatic expansion?
What in particular were the complaints made against the fixbot?
Can/should the fixbot be improved to take them into account?

Also, I wonder where this was documented? I see no reference to this
fixbot on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER_fixup or
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER.
--
martijn van exel