[OSM-talk-nl] Fwd: [OSM-talk] Licence redaction ready to begin

Henk Hoff toffehoff at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 21:29:13 UTC 2012

Ter info.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>
Date: Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Subject: [OSM-talk] Licence redaction ready to begin

Hello all,

I'm pleased to announce that the licence change bot is ready to get
underway.

Starting this week, we will be 'redacting' the contributions (less than 1%)
from the live database that are not compatible with the new Contributor
Terms and Open Database Licence (ODbL) - in other words, they will no
longer be accessible. We are expecting to begin on _Wednesday_ (11th July)
assuming a couple of final setup details are completed by then.

The bot will run in the following order:
    1. Ireland
    2. UK
    3. Western Europe
    4. North America
    5. Australia
    6. rest of the world

Once it is complete, we will be ready to distribute data under the ODbL and
we'll advise of that with a separate announcement. The final pre-redaction
dataset available under CC-BY-SA has now been generated at
http://planet.openstreetmap.**org/planet-120704.osm.bz2<http://planet.openstreetmap.org/planet-120704.osm.bz2>.
Where data has been redacted, any attempt to access it from the API or
the site's 'browse' pages will return a response to that effect.

Test runs have shown that the bot is functioning as we want it to, but we
will of course be monitoring its progress. We are currently expecting it to
take in the order of one month to complete; given the many variables I'm
afraid we can't give a more precise steer yet, but we'll aim to keep
everyone updated as it runs (via the announce@ and talk@ lists).

There will be _no_ API outage and no other interruption to editing. When
the bot is running in your area, please do save your edits frequently to
minimise the likelihood of conflict.

(Separate messages are going to talk-ie@ and talk-gb@ as the first two
areas to be affected. Please do forward and translate this for your local
mailing lists.)

As you know we were expecting this to start just after 1st April and the
complexity of the task incurred the delay. Thank you all very much for your
patience in waiting for it to get underway. Thank you especially to those
who have contributed to the code, whether by patches, suggestions or just
helping to firm up the workings.

Richard
for the OSMF board