[OSM-talk-nl] junction= roundabaout

Wolfgang Wienke wo_wienke at gmx.net
Thu Nov 22 08:41:23 UTC 2012

Am 22.11.2012 07:50, schrieb Maarten Deen:
> On 2012-11-21 20:48, Wolfgang Wienke wrote:
>>>>
>>> Just after sending this I realized that I must have misread your
>>> question. You mean why most roundabouts are made up of more than one
>>> way.
>>>
>>> Initially it is because of the AND import. The AND dataset was such that
>>> between every junction of 3 or more roads there was a sperate way.
>> What means the AND dataset?
>
> AND donated their dataset in 2007 and was subsequently integraded into OSM.
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/AND_Data>
I do not find there any special about roundabouts. I think, that it is
important to recognize a roundabout for navys to tell the user something
like "leave the rounabout at the second street".
Is there no discussion in Netherlands to join the automatically
generated part of a roundabout manually?

>>> Now it is just convenient if you have different relations (like a bus
>>> line) over the roundabout. Then you can indicate exactly which side a
>>> relation takes.
>> Well, this is really not necessary because you drive the roundabout
>> alwas in the same direction.
>> In Germany we only have roundabouts made of ONE way. If you use the
>> relation-editor of JOSM, than you can easily recgnize a roundabout.
>> Would it not be easier, to use only ONE way in a roundabaout?
>
> I think this looks much tidier than when roundabouts are always one way.
>
> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.32506&lon=5.97571&zoom=17&layers=T>
>
> Also, if you make a route over a roundabout, you never use the full
> roundabout, so why would you want the full roundabout in the relation?

Of course this is true, but I think it looks tidier the other way, look
here. You see at once, that there is a roundabout.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.791022&lon=6.059449&zoom=18&layers=T

--
                                Mit freundlichen Gruessen

                                      Wolfgang Wienke