[OSM-talk-nl] Adressing the World Was: Netherland mapping for Tourists / Adress nodes move to building etc

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Tue Oct 7 17:35:16 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 04:25:47PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> hi,
>
> > I'm not saying OSM as an open database is failing. I just think the
> > survey+map model requires many more people than we'll ever find.
>
> You are too impatient and you fail to see the great results we already
> produced.  OSM is the most valuable GeoDataset available worldwide. There are
> hundrets of services using OSM in production already. Addresses is "the last
> big thing" we miss for example in Germany. But still - Out of the 200 countries
> world wide i guess 100 dont even have an Adressing scheme. More than halve of
> the worlds population dont HAVE an Address. You can not send them a postcard
> and they cant order on Amazon. And you talk about OSM beeing useless because we
> dont have the 1% of Addresses in our surrounding?
>
> Just to get this into perspective.

Adressing the World - This is what i was remembering.

http://www.upu.int/en/activities/addressing/addressing-the-world-initiative.html
http://www.upu.int/fileadmin/documentsFiles/activities/addressingAssistance/brochureAddressingTheWorldEn.pdf

From the Foreword:

  Today, an address is considered part of a person’s identity, and not
  only in the UPU environment. According to the United Nations Development
  Programme’s Commission on the Legal Empowerment of the Poor, 4 billion
  people are excluded from the rule of law because they do not have a legal
  identity.  This lack of identity is often a barrier to the enjoyment of
  their rights as citizens. Setting up an address infrastructure is one
  step towards tackling this issue.

Just another perspective.

Flo