[OSM-np] Labeling chowks

Abhishek Singh aks at asingh.com.np
Mon Aug 8 04:14:58 BST 2011

On 08/07/2011 09:58 PM, Prabhas Pokharel wrote:
> Hey all,
> This question of how to label chowks is going to come up again and
> again. I tagged some big ones like Sinamangal and Pingalsthan with
> place=locality
> based on feedback
> http://openstreetmap.org/user/prabhasp/diary/14624#comments
>
> That might be one way to go. Another would be to simply tag chowks with
> place=intersection
> name=Milan chowk
> as an example. The problem is that it wouldn't show up in the map at
> all (the renderer wouldn't know what to do), but it would still show
> up on searches.
>
> Other suggestions? (do read the thread before commenting, some
> important issues are highlighted there)
>

> --
> Prabhas Pokharel
> http://twitter.com/prabhasp
> Nepal mobile: +977 98137 91044
> US mobile: +1 347 948 7654
> skype/facebook/whatever: prabhasp

place=locality and place=intersection both seem to be good to label
chowks, as chowks have some expanded meaning:

  * most importantly "chowks" denote intersection
  * but they chowks are not merely limited to intersection, and they
    spread out, so as the locality is also named after the chowk.

p.s: @prabhas: the link is not working.

--
Abhishek Singh
http://www.asingh.com.np