[OSM-np] Tagging Nepali Roads

Prabhas Pokharel prabhas.pokharel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 05:35:18 BST 2011

Hey all, I wanted to have a bit of a conversation about how to tag roads.
Starting point could be Kathmandu roads, but we could move onto more. Lets
have a discussion centered around the existing highway=*
tags<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Highway>(please
refer to the link during discussion) for now, and the kinds of roads
for which we really need new tags, we will then broaden the discussion and
involve the larger OSM community.

Question 1: Do we have _any_ roads accessible only to pedestrians (ie,
blocked off to motorbikes)? If so, these should have the tag
highway=pedestrian

Question 2: Okay, now lets move on to the roads (the gallis) that are
accessible to pedestrians and motorbikes, but not to cars. How do we tag
these? I see a couple of options:
- for the mainly pedestrian gallies where motorcycles can (and do) go, maybe
we add a highway=footway motorcycle=yes
- for the gallis are truly dual use, i'm not sure. Ideas?

Question 3: How do we tag roads that should be avoided in the monsoon? If
you look at seasonal roads, there are winter_road=yes/no and ice_road=yes/no
tags. But for me, it seems more appropriate to have another tag like,
monsoon_use=yes/careful/no type of designation. Any suggestions?

--
Prabhas Pokharel
http://twitter.com/prabhasp