[Talk-nz] LINZ Aerial Imagery / Topo in iD/JOSM

Andrew Harvey andrew at alantgeo.co.nz
Wed Dec 12 02:44:21 UTC 2018

We've been using a shared API key for access to LINZ aerial imagery
and topo layers in iD and JOSM, but Koordinates just informed me they
are seeing excessive much usage (assuming it is legitimate, then it
means we have many people mapping which is great), and have suspended
the API key.
They advised me (since it was my account that the shared key was
created from) that they "love people using the data via JOSM, but we
just need it to be on a per-user basis". So to continue to use these
layers you'll need to create your own API key at
https://data.linz.govt.nz/ then replace it in these URLs which can be
added as custom layers in JOSM and iD.
Imagery
https://tiles-a.data-cdn.linz.govt.nz/services;key=3197c6d0e5cb494a95d58dc2de3216c2/tiles/v4/set=2/EPSG:3857/{zoom}/{x}/{y}.png[1]
Topo
https://tiles-a.data-cdn.linz.govt.nz/services;key=3197c6d0e5cb494a95d58dc2de3216c2/tiles/v4/layer=2343/EPSG:3857/{zoom}/{x}/{y}.png[2]
The other option going forward to continue to support casual mappers who
we'll inconvenience by needed to create an account/api key is we self-
host the imagery either either on OSM infrastructure or other donated
infrastructure.
Links:

  1. https://tiles-a.data-cdn.linz.govt.nz/services;key=3197c6d0e5cb494a95d58dc2de3216c2/tiles/v4/set=2/EPSG:3857/%7Bzoom%7D/%7Bx%7D/%7By%7D.png
  2. https://tiles-a.data-cdn.linz.govt.nz/services;key=3197c6d0e5cb494a95d58dc2de3216c2/tiles/v4/layer=2343/EPSG:3857/%7Bzoom%7D/%7Bx%7D/%7By%7D.png