[Talk-nz] OSGeo Oceania as a not-for-profit entity? Your feedback, please

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 09:01:10 UTC 2019

Hi all,

As promised, following on the heels of the successful FOSS4G SotM Oceania
conference <https://foss4g-oceania.org/> in November 2018, we have embarked
on a journey to lay down a strong foundation for the growth of this
community. In addition to planning a new instance of the conference in
Wellington, New Zealand, for November 2019, we are also doing significant
ground work on establishing a not-for-profit that can manage funds, enter
into agreements, and act as a local chapter of OSGeo and OSMF.

We have developed a recommendation for an initial path forward, and we'd
like you, the community, to provide your feedback. If you have experience
or knowledge here, and can provide insight, or wish to contribute your
thoughts, please chime in. Your comments are most welcome, and can be
provided by responding to this email, or by commenting in the Google Doc.

The draft recommendation is attached as a PDF, and a live Google Doc
version is linked here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LCoaNY9xACkpE_E1pTn3pGkNV41rqmoK5QkKl2FAfwY/edit?usp=sharing>.
We will take input until the end of next week (29 March). At that point,
we'll make adjustments where warranted, and hopefully be in a position to
raise a motion to the OSGeo Oceania board to accept the recommendation, and
begin the process.

If this is all new to you, and you're wondering what the heck OSGeo Oceania
even is, please check out this basic wiki page
<https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Oceania> that will give you a bit of
background. We'll be fleshing this out in the coming months, but I hope it
gives you enough of an idea. We will certainly be aiming to increase our
outreach, and get people involved from across the region.

Any questions, please ask!

Cheers
John Bryant
on behalf of OSGeo Oceania