[Talk-nz] Hello

Daniel Palenski danielpalenski at gmail.com
Fri May 10 22:16:31 UTC 2019

Hi Everyone

I'm new to this list and OSM in general. I created an account in
November. After seeing through Leaflet on I think on the AT journey
planner that rail lines are outlined much better than Google Maps. I
noticed the North Auckland Line was misaligned in the places and none
of the existing sidings or loops were outlined and Dargaville Branch
wasn't named as such.

After that I left it that for a few months until my cousin had a
problem with Uber dropping them off on Target Rd instead of top of our
street after checking Google and Apple Maps and both suggesting the
correct route. I don't use Uber myself so I had no idea what Uber was
using so tried it in OSM and there we go. So I figured I need to added
the long driveways and hopefully they will be updated on Uber's maps
and will fix the problem soon.

Unfortunately I didn't stop there I added the long driveways for other
houses then eventually I outlined the houses too but that was taking
so long. I thought there must be better to do this since I noticed the
address points were imported from LINZ maybe the building outlines
could be too. I eventually the wiki for the LINZ import and then this
list. From what I've from previous discussions people have imported
building outlines from various sources. LINZ now has it in one source
and testing on their aerial map outlines look mostly spot on.

Look for yourselfs
https://data.linz.govt.nz/data/category/topographic/building-outlines/

>From what I read importing the LINZ data is no easy thing to do so I
don't know if I want to take it on yet.